Expert legal advice on Parenting Plans from Brisbane family lawyers
A Parenting Plan is any written, signed and dated agreement made between parents. A Parenting Plan can contain the following:
- who the children will live with;
- the time the children will spend with each parent;
- parental responsibility;
- communication issues;
- medical and educational issues;
- processes to resolve disputes about the children;
- any other aspect dealing with the care, welfare and development of the child.
There are two options to record your parenting agreement:
- Parenting Plans; or
- Consent Orders.
Parenting Plans are helpful in the following circumstances:
- where the children are very young and their needs will change;
- where there are certain circumstances unknown (e.g. where one parent will live);
- where parents want a flexible arrangement and/or an arrangement that is periodically reviewed;
- where there is a pre-existing co-parenting relationship and a high degree of trust and cooperation.